Eight vendors were presented with the keys to their new booths at the Maracas Beach Facility by Tourism Minister Randall Mitchell on Wednesday.
These vendors had previously been displaced from locations in the Facility’s car park to facilitate ongoing upgrades.
In addition to congratulating the vendors, Minister Mitchell thanked them for their patience throughout the process, noting that they had continued to operate in less than optimal conditions.
The Police Service says that from next week it will embark on an exercise to remove all vendors who operate along the nation's highways.
This includes beverage cart vendors, fruit vendors and even windshield washers.
The Traffic and Highway Patrol Unit says these vendors are hazardous to motorists and they have already been warned verbally and in writing.
The unit says the next step will now be removing the vendors and that will commence next week.
This coincides with the work being done on the Curepe Interchange Project.
Charlotte Street vendors have been told that they will be allowed to return to their normal locations but have been warned that the City Corporation will be cracking down on illegal vending soon.
A statement by the Ministry of Rural Development and Local Government says the minister made it clear that the ministry is moving towards the implementation of proper procedure and policy and that only registered vendors will be allowed to operate.
The following is a statement issued by the ministry on Monday.