St Joseph's Convent Port-of-Spain has topped all schools for national scholarships. with a whopping 41, which includes 24 open and 17 additional.
The full list of scholarships-by-school, was released by the Ministry of Education today.
Hillview College was second best with 35 scholarships and St Augustine Girls High School, third with 34.
Couva East Secondary was the top government school with four scholarships.
The following is the full breakdown
It's been more than a year since denominational schools received direct funding from government and officials now say they are fed up with the burden of raising funds to run their schools.
In a letter sent to the Education Minister Anthony Garcia, public relations officer of the Association of Denominational Boards of Education, Satnarayan Maharaj said a meeting was held last week during which officials expressed serious concerns on the failure of the Ministry of Education to address the funding issue.
The Ministry of Education says it empathises with students, teachers and staff who were affected by the disruption of service to the Caroni Water Treatment Plant.
Some schools were forced to close their doors earlier than expected as a result of having no water on the compound.
Minister of Education Anthony Garcia thanked teachers and students for their commitment to teaching and learning and acknowledged that unforeseen circumstances like today can become hindrances to the learning process.
The Ministry of Education says that during the July/August vacation period, it has been working strategically to prepare all schools to open its doors on Monday 3rd September 2018.
It says that as part of the preparation, it has issued contracts to over 70 Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) teachers, over 50 primary school teachers have been appointed, over 60 secondary school teachers have been sent to schools across the country and over 150 School Social Workers have been brought on to augment the employee complement of the Student Support Services Division (SSSD).
Education Minister Anthony Garcia yesterday admitted that principals of private secondary schools deserve an increase in students’ school fees, but he’s promising to have the matter ironed out by the end of next month.
“We have no fight with the principals of private schools. I am willing to work with them to see how best we can resolve this,” Garcia said when asked at yesterday’s post-Cabinet media briefing if there was an impasse between the ministry and the principals.
An impasse between Education Minister Anthony Garcia and the Trinidad and Tobago Association of Private Secondary Schools (TTAPSS) over an increase in fees for Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) examination pupils assigned to their schools has left the Garcia looking for alternative places to put those pupils. However, Garcia is assuring all Government-assisted pupils will be placed.
The Ministry of Education says the boards of management of government-assisted primary schools, have begun collecting their Cleaners and Maintenance Grants for Term III.
The termly grant is provided for the payment of costs associated with the cleaning and general upkeep of the schools.
The ministry says that principals of all 39 government-assisted secondary schools have also been able to collect their Term II grants.