The Ministry of Education says it will today pay a total of $3.2 million to 320 maxi taxi drivers who have been contracted by the PTSC to transport school children throughout the country.
The sum represents part payment of an outstanding $11.3m debt from last year.
On Friday, the drivers will also collect the final tranche of $8 million, as the ministry moves to settle all outstanding arrears.
The Ministry of Education says it has put measures in place to verify all invoices for payments to maxi taxi operators who are contracted by the Public Transport Service Corporation (PTSC) to transport school children.
The ministry says this decision follows concerns raised by persons from various quarters to carefully review and analyse all requests for payments, in order to ensure quality service and value for money.
The Education Ministry is advising that there is a place for all students seeking to enter primary school in September and says that any parent who has been unable to get his/her child enrolled in a school, should contact the Education District Office.
The latest advice came via a statement by the ministry today.
"The Minister of Education is assuring parents of primary school aged children, carded to enter primary school this September, that all students will have a place.
The Ministry of Education says it is working to effectively conduct repairs to the Princes Town East Secondary School as well as the Preysal Government Primary School.
The Ministry issued a statement in relation to the schools' problems today.
"The Ministry of Education is moving expeditiously to repair the malfunctioning heating and ventilation air-conditioning (HVAC) system at Princes Town East Secondary School.
The Ministry of Education says it is currently investigating a video being circulated on social media of an incident involving a number of female students from the Mayaro Secondary School who were involved in a fight.
Preliminary reports indicate that the incident occurred on Tuesday 14th March, 2017 at 4.06 pm while they were on their way home from school.
A statement by the Ministry says Minister Anthony Garcia "strongly condemns all acts of violence in the school system".