The Ministry of Social Development and Family Services has set up a hotline in an effort to render support to those residents who were affected by last week’s flooding in south Trinidad.
In a release, the ministry said as a second responder, it is now working closely with its key disaster stakeholders, including the first responders – the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management and the Ministry of Rural Development and Local Government’s Disaster Management Units (DMUs), to assess reported cases, so that assistance can be rendered to the thousands of people whose home were flooded out during the period.
It said to date, 190 assessments had been completed by the Penal/Debe Regional Corporation’s DMU and these will be submitted to the Ministry of Social Development and Family Services for review, certification and processing of relief grant cheques.
This was the second times in recent weeks that parts of the country had been hit by severe flooding. Thousands of households were also hit during the floods of October 19-21.
The ministry said it remains committed to ensuring the necessary resources are mobilised to bring a sense of normalcy to affected families in the shortest possible time. Affected persons were advised call the toll-free hotline at 800-1MSD or the National Family Services Division at 623-2608; Ext 6300 -6307 for psycho-social support or counselling.