News

Machel supports separate Carnival for Tobago

Road March winner Machel Montano has thrown his support behind the initiative for Tobago to have its own Carnival.

Since 2011, there have been calls for Tobago to have its own Carnival instead of having celebrations the same time as Trinidad.

Montano gave his take on the issue during his performance at the Call to Paradise premium all-inclusive event at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort on Saturday.

Montano urged those in authority to be brave and grasp the opportunity for Trinidad and Tobago to have separate Carnivals on each island.

Ban use of paint during J’Ouvert

Woodbrook residents have put forward four proposals to their Member of Parliament in a bid to stop masqueraders and J’Ouvert revellers from defacing their properties annually during Carnival celebrations.

Chairman of the Woodbrook Residents Committee Lynette Dolly in a recent meeting with Port-of-Spain South MP Marlene Mc Donald suggested that unregistered J’Ouvert bands be shifted from Woodbrook to Port-of-Spain for Carnival 2019.

PCA: Police Professional Standards Bureau to investigate 'police' voice note on Howard Chin Lee's wife

The Police Complaints Authority (PCA) says it is aware of reports of an alleged voice note being circulated via social media, allegedly emanating from an Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS).

The PCA has been informed that the Professional Standards Bureau (PSB) has been charged with the responsibility of investigating this matter which also falls within the remit of the PCA.

UNC MPs slam AG’s denial of local ISIS cell

Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi has come in for flack for trying to deny media reports of Prime Minister Keith Rowley’s admission of an ISIS terror cell operating in T&T.

In Parliament last Friday, according to verbatim notes, UNC MP Bhoe Tewarie had asked Rowley, “Is there anything in Trinidad and Tobago that can be considered an ISIS cell or an ISIS satellite?”

Protests force closure of four health centres

Four health centres have been closed as a result of protest action in Port-of-Spain this morning.

The North West Regional Health Authority (NWRHA) has advised that public that due to current security concerns the following Health Centres will be closed today:

* Upper Laventille

* Success Laventille

* Oxford Street and

* George Street.

The NWRHA says that all persons with clinic appointments for this date will be rescheduled and members of the public can continue to access care, at any other Health Centre under the purview of the NWRHA.

Neval sues Yorke for $250,000

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke was served legal documents before his Seas the Moment fete in Tobago on Saturday, as current Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal has sued him in an effort to recover $250,000 which was lent to Yorke last year.

Chatelal has been pleading unsuccessfully since May last year with Yorke to pay him back the $250,000, according to documents filed in the San Fernando High Court on Thursday.

Housing Minister warns radio station to watch what they say about him

The Housing Minister has sent a warning to a radio station to be careful about what its announcers say about him during one of its programmes.

Through Attorney Michael Quamina, Minister Randall Mitchell cautioned the 'Ground Report' programme on More 104.7 FM, to not make any defamatory statements during their discussion.

The letter which was sent to the station's manager says that the minister was made aware that the hosts of the programme intended to make him the subject matter of a particular topic.

The content of the discussion alarmed the minister.

Police maintain presence in East Port-of-Spain following fiery protests

The Police Service is assuring members of the public that they are maintaining a presence in East Port-of-Spain following a disturbance caused by residents.

This morning residents blocked streets and debris following some police shooting in the area.

Residents blocked Observatory, Oxford Piccadilly and Bath streets.

Police property found during raids

A police jacket, bulletproof vest and three guns were among several illegal items seized by Southern Division police over the past few days.

A three-year-old boy and his seven-year-old cousin were also left in the care of their landlord in Princes Town on Thursday evening, after their parents were caught in possession of narcotics and guns.

During the operations coordinated by Snr Supt Mohammed, ASP Ramdeen and Insp Gajadhar, Princes Town CID officers executed a search warrant at an apartment in Lothian Gardens shortly after 5 pm.

Children get free surgeries

For over 60 years, the Princess Elizabeth Centre in Woodbrook has served as a home for physically handicapped children.

The compound contains a modern operating theatre, dormitories, outpatient clinic, orthopaedic workshop and expansive grounds that can be used for sports and family days. The centre also offers primary schooling, occupational therapy and speech therapy.

Children with spinal and other physical disabilities from T&T and other Caribbean countries are also taken to the centre for corrective surgery.

Pages